Mexican Chicken Bake
This one is super delicious. We have it at least 2-3 times per month. Adjust to your desired level of spicy, we're on the medium-high end with this recipe.
4-5 Chicken breasts
Dash or two of olive oil (we used jalapeno infused)
2 TBSP minced garlic
2 TBSP Taco Seasoning (or one packet)
1/2 cup jalapeno slices
1 can pinto beans
1 can black beans
1/4 cup hot taco sauce
1/2 cup hot salsa
Shredded cheese of your choice - 1 cup with 1/4 cup reserved
2 cups water - for rice
2 cups rice
Lime juice, if desired
1. Cut chicken into bite sized pieces. Preheat oven to 350. Heat olive oil in pan. Add garlic to pan and let cook for 30 seconds. DO NOT LET IT BURN! It gets very bitter if the garlic burns. Add chicken to pan and cook thoroughly.
2. Add taco seasoning and mix well. May need to add a few sprinkles of water if you don't have much liquid.
4. Add beans, sauces, and salsa. Reduce heat to medium low and cover.
5. When the water for the rice comes to a boil, add the rice. Cook as directions stated on package.
6. When rice is nearly done, add cheese to chicken/bean mixture - save 1/4 cup. Continuously stir so it gets to be a melty mess.
7. Transfer rice into a oven safe container that has a lid. (We use a Le Cruset dutch oven)
8. Sprinkle lime juice over rice and stir. Add the cheesy bean and chicken mixture to the top. Spread evenly.
9. Crush tortilla chips over the top of the chicken. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover. Place in oven at 350 for 15 minutes to melt cheese.